Check list for the first Computing Lab Session
- To achieve familiarity with the computer and keyboard.
- Familiarity with how to browse the on-line documentation.
- Familiarity with how to manipulate simple windows
and to switch between different applications.
- On a Macintosh system, you should format a floppy disk.
- On a Macintosh system, you should practice mounting your Silicon
Graphics file system
- Create and edit a simple text file. Start by clicking here to create
an editor window. Practice
the operations of inserting and deleting, cutting, pasting and searching text,
using the tab key to position the cursor at e.g. columns 1 or 7 and
saving the file to disk. If you are using a Mac,
practice saving this file on the Silicon Graphics file system.
- Create a "command line" window by clicking here.
Try invoking the Silicon Graphics ugfor filename.f command. "filename.f"
would be the name of a file you have created on an editor and previously saved on the
Silicon Graphics file system.
Return to main course page
Copyright (c) H. S. Rzepa and B. P. Levitt, 1995.