Re: ECHET96 Article 103:

Joachim Schantl (c72610@dm.uibk.ac.at)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:18:25 +0200 (MDT)

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Prof. Lucio Pellacani wrote:

Dear Collegue,
> I'm interested in your findings. I would ask you some questions.
> How stable are the aziridines? Is it possible to isolate and
> caracterise them? Have you an explanation of the different behaviour of
> the 5- and 6-membered ring azoalkenes? Have you made plans for testing
> other nitrenes in reaction with the same substrates?
> Thanks
> --
> Prof. Lucio Pellacani
> Dipartimento di Chimica
> Universita' di Roma La Sapienza
> P.le Aldo Moro, 2
> I-00185 Roma
> Italy
> tel. +39.6.49913673
> fax +39.6.490631
> -----
> ECHET96. Conference home page: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/echet96/ using
> Netscape, Mosaic, etc.
> E-mail discussions: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/echet96/
> To unsubscribe from this list, send the message UNSUBSCRIBE ECHET96 to
> listserver@ic.ac.uk

Dear Colleague,
I appreciate your interest in our work. My answer to your questions is as
follows:
(1) The 2-phenylazo-aziridines are stable compounds, they have been isolated
and characterized.
(2) We do not have a definite answer to the fact, that
phenylazo-cyclopentene gives a different product as opposed to the
product obtained from phenyazo-cyclohexene (and also 2-phenylazo-styrene).
Our present working hypothesis assumes that the preferred conformation of the
formal single bond (cisoid or transoid) between the two double bonds (azo
group and olefinic bond) may be responsible for the formation of different
products. In order to learn to understand this diverging reactivity an
extensive study is presently carried out in this laboratory with a greater
variety of azo-alkenes being subjected to these reaction conditions.
(3) In the course of this project, not only various azo-alkenes (with all
sorts of substituents attached to the azo group and to the olefinic carbon
atoms) but also different nitrenes / nitrene precursors are presently under
investigation.
Any comment or suggestion is very welcome.
J.G. Schantl

-----