30 (poster)

Raymond Jones (pczrcj@unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk)
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 18:24:27 +0000

Whoops - you spotted a blooper. Scheme 3 should start with compound 3 to
give epi-3 - the Scheme 3 version of epi-3 is different to that earlier, so
in the whole scheme, please invert the CN and Me to bring it into the exo
series. On the other hand, 2 does epimerise slowly under similar conditions
to give epi-2 - which is what is shown in fact (by mistake) in Scheme 3.
The point is that we have never seen C-5 and C-7a trans, which would
require the syn dipole if it is not an epimerisation as we suggest. I don't
like to have a syn dipole in just this one case - we never see any endo
adducts with a syn dipole, only anti.
Ray

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dr Raymond C F Jones
Department of Chemistry
University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Phone: +44 (0)115 951 3526; Fax: +44 (0)115 951 3564
E-mail: Ray.Jones@nottingham.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ECTOC-1. Conference home page: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/ using
Netscape, Mosaic, etc.
E-mail discussions: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/ectoc/
To unsubscribe from this list, send the message UNSUBSCRIBE ECTOC to
listserver@ic.ac.uk